Lectio Divina, is a contemplative approach to reading the Bible. Instead of reading large amounts, you read a small section of scripture several times while reflecting and listening.
Often times, a word or phrase will stand out to you as you read and reread the scripture. It is with this word or phrase that you ask God to show you how they relate to your present life and circumstances.
What to do:
- Set aside 5 minutes
- Find a quiet and comfortable place
- Take a few deep breaths and let go of the worries, the to-do’s, the concerns and exhale
- Read the scripture below, slowly, you aren’t trying to draw any meaning but just taking it in.
- Reread the scripture and notice if a word or phrase stands out to you
- Reread the scripture and prayerfully ask God to show you how the words or phrase apply to your current circumstances
- Take a minute to reflect and consider what you have read and heard (Often I will write these thoughts in a journal or on a 3 x5 card so that I can reflect and remember what God showed me during my time with Him)
Trust in the Lord, and do good;
Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness.
Delight yourself in the Lord;
And He will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord,
Trust also in Him, and He will do it
And He will bring forth your righteousness as the light,
And your judgement as the noonday.
Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him;
Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,
Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes.
Cease from anger, and forsake wrath;
Do not fret, it leads only to evildoing.
We would love for you to share your word/phrase and any thoughts you had during your time with God in the comments. There is something unique that happens when we share and hear from others. Life is full and schedules demanding, we pray these few minutes will be a source of encouragement and allow you to connect with God.